domingo, 26 de mayo de 2013

Home-made Digestive Biscuits

Español  Français

My partner eats oat Digestive for breakfast every day (yes mon chéri ...every day!). So as I was buying so many boxes of those biscuits I thought that I might save money and save his health at the same time making them myself...what I want to say is that home-made is always better than what is sold in the supermarket, you control the ingredients you're using. I know that they have quite an amount of calories per 100g  but at least I know what they're made of! 

I'm very happy with the result! They're very tasty and are quite similar to the ones you find in your supermarket.

 



Digestive biscuits are typical from England though you can find them all over the world nowadays. They exist since the end of the 19th century, it was called Digestive as it was believed that it would help digestion because of the one of its ingredients: sodium bicarbonate. You can have them with a nice cup of tea with milk or with cheese as stilton, cheddar etc..any cheese would do (even better with French cheese :))
My friend Tracey who is 200% British gave me her approval so here is the recipe (I found it on the amazing blog El Rincón de Bea).

Ingredients (for 20-22 biscuits)

  • 125 gr butter (room temperature)
  • 60 gr brown sugar
  • 1 table spoon of treacle/golden syrup
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • 125 gr of flour
  • 150 gr of whole flour
  • 35 gr of whole wheat
  • 1 tea spoon of baking powder

Directions:

  • Cream the butter, sugar and golden syrup. Add the beaten egg in two times, it needs to blend in perfectly before adding the rest of the egg.
  • In another recipient sift the flours and the baking powder. Blend with the whole wheat.
  • Blend in the butter mixture in three times until you get a compact dough (start blending with a wooden spoon, then finish with your hands as it gets harder). Form a ball with the doe, wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for an hour.
  • Roll the dough on a baking sheet until it's 5mm thick. With a round cookie cutter (7cm) cut the biscuits and place them on the oven tray on which we put a baking sheet before.
  • Leave in the fridge for 20mn.
  • Pre-heat the oven at 180º. Cook for 12 minutes or until brown (not too brown though!) Let them cool down a bit then place them on a cooling rack so they finish cooling.
  • Keep in a tin box. You can keep them for 5 days...but they'll disappear before of course!

They're really nice.  
Next time I'd like to try the Oat Digestive Biscuits.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario